This post contains links that, if you click on them and make a purchase, will earn me money. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I believe will be good for my readers. Thanks for helping me continue to produce great content!
What’s a Great Sandwich Recipe?
In the beginning, I made me a fabulous sandwich.
And it was good.
Then, a girlfriend challenged me to enter a sandwich recipe contest, and I remembered my sandwich. It had melted, heavenly havarti cheese in it. And Black Forest Ham. And some caramelized purple onions. And aioli. And arugula. And homemade apple butter.
So, I wrote down the recipe, talked my husband into photographing it, and it was really good.
Here’s the recipe I entered in that contest for my mighty fine sandwich, and you can make it at your house and enjoy. (And if you don’t want to make your own aioli, Trader Joe’s carries a nice one.)
The Great Sandwich Recipe for my Fabulous Sammich:
- For Caramelized Red Onions:
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- For Sandwich:
- Two slices of sourdough bread, 1/2" thick
- 2 T. softened butter
- 2 slices Cream Havarti Cheese
- 2 slices Black Forest Ham
- 1 T. garlic aioli
- Spoonful of red caramelized onions
- 1 small handful arugula
- 2 T. apple butter
- Peel and slice a red onion in half, and then cut one half of it into 1/2" thick, half-moon-shaped slices. Slowly sauté´ in a cast iron skillet, with 1 T. butter, and 1 T. olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow onion to softly and very lightly caramelize for about 25 minutes. Reserve.
- Butter one side each of two slices of sourdough bread. Place buttered side down on a cast iron griddle, and toast on medium heat. On one slice of bread, place Cream Havarti cheese and Black Forest Ham,
- Place a large pot lid overtop to hasten the melting of the cheese. Let cook about 3 or 4 minutes, checking the process of the cheese occasionally, as well as peeking at the toastiness of the bread.
- When cheese is melty and has reached a gooey loveliness, remove both slices of bread from griddle. Now top ham with a smear of garlic aioli, several slices of the reserved caramelized onions, and a handful of peppery arugula. Spread the other side of bread with a thick coat of apple butter.
- Place slice of bread with apple butter on top of melted cheese and ham slice, apple butter side down.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.