This post contains links that, if you click on them and make a purchase, will earn me money. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I believe will be good for my readers. Thanks for helping me continue to produce great content!
Pizza Chicken Pasta has a title that is kid friendly, but is absolutely delicious to adults as well. If you’re cutting carbs, just make the chicken, without the pasta. It’s an easy and delicious weeknight meal.
The Process for Pizza Chicken in Pictures:
While there weren’t any little kids at my house the night I made it, I am just SURE that with a name like “Pizza Chicken”, little ones would get excited to have THAT for dinner!
For the cheese, in my Pizza Chicken recipe, I used fresh mozzarella. I love the big puddles of cheesy goodness it forms when it melts. If you don’t have any, you can feel free to substitute regular mozzarella.
I love that I could do it all in my big cast iron skillet, too. Well, except for the pasta. This dish was inspired by a recipe I saw in the NY Times by Melissa Clark.
The Recipe for Pizza Chicken Pasta:
- 1 3 lb. package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided (1 teaspoon for sauce; 1 teaspoon for chicken)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large basil sprig, plus more chopped basil for serving
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella slices, or grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 16 oz. pkg. dried spaghetti noodles, prepared according to package directions
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, warm oil over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add chicken to skillet. Sear, turning only occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add garlic slices to skillet, and fry 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning, red pepper flakes, and some fresh basil. Cook, breaking up tomatoes with a spatula, until sauce thickens somewhat, about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Transfer skillet to oven and cook, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink, about 15 minutes.
- Scatter mozzarella pieces (or grated mozzarella) over skillet. Adjust oven temperature to broil. Return skillet to oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes (watch carefully to see that it does not burn). Garnish with bacon and chopped basil before serving.
- Serve over 1 package of spaghetti, prepared according to package directions.
The spaghetti is optional, if you're trying to cut carbs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 785Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 375mgSodium: 1332mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 84g