This post contains links that, if you click on them and make a purchase, will earn me money. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I believe will be good for my readers. Thanks for helping me continue to produce great content!
This recipe for Goat Cheese Mac and Cheese with Rosemary, Roasted Garlic and Chicken Skin Bacon is the best Mac and Cheese I’ve ever had! It’s savory, creamy, and tangy, with a deep herbal note from the fresh rosemary and the rich, slightly sweet complexity of roasted garlic. And let’s not forget the crispiness of the Chicken Skin Bacon.
|Best Mac and Cheese I’ve ever had!
Goat Cheese Mac and Cheese?
I’ve had some good Mac and Cheese in my day. Martha Stewart’s version comes to mind. I turned Martha Stewart’s recipe for Mac and Cheese into “Clean Out the Cheese Drawer Mac and Cheese. With White Cheddar, and Smoked Gouda, and Toasted Bread Crumbs” on top, it was a real winner. Truly.
Enter Iron Chef Michael Symon
How Roasted Garlic and Roasted Chicken Showed Up
Would Lower Fat Dairy Work?
The Recipe for Goat Cheese Mac and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 lb. dried macaroni or rigatoni
- 1 qt. (4 cups) heavy cream (OR 2 c. cream, + 2 c. 2% milk)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 oz. fresh goat cheese
- 2 c. shredded roasted chicken (about 1/2 rotisserie chicken)
- 1 roasted head of garlic (procedure for roasting garlic in notes, below)
- black pepper
- any leftover chicken skin from the roasted chicken
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. I use about 3 T. salt for a large pot of water. Preheat oven to 400º to roast garlic, and when preheated, roast garlic for approximately 1 hour.
- While the water is coming to a boil, put the cream/milk mixture, chopped rosemary, a large pinch of salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring just barely to a boil, then reduce heat to low, till you bring the cream to a simmer. Reduce the amount of liquid by half. This could take up to half an hour.
- Once the cream/milk is reduced, add the chicken (and the roasted garlic, if using) to the cream and bring the mixture back to a simmer. Continue cooking till the liquid coats the back of a spoon, possibly up to another 30 minutes, depending on how much milk to cream you've used.
- Cut the chicken skin into small pieces. Place in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Render fat until chicken skin is browned and crispy. Set aside.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and boil about 1 minute less than the package directions. (You want the pasta to absorb the creamy cheese sauce as it finishes cooking.) Drain the pasta, and add it to the sauce.
- Add goat cheese to the pot. Toss the pasta to combine it with the sauce, and bring it just back to the simmer. Adjust seasoning to taste. Sprinkle each dish with the "chicken bacon" and a tiny bit of chopped fresh rosemary.
Pre-heat oven to 400º. Lop off about 1/2" from the top of a garlic head. (I did three, while I was at it, so I could have more for spreading on French bread, adding to mashed potatoes, and using for a steak topping with melted butter.) Spread out a sheet of foil, to wrap the garlic in for roasting. Drizzle garlic with about a tablespoon of oil. Wrap up in a foil bundle. Bake for about 1 hour. To extract the roasted garlic from its peel, turn the head of garlic upside down and squeeze. The soft, caramelized garlic will squish out, and may kind of remind you of squeezing a pimple. (This will be very satisfying for some of you! ) Roasted garlic may be stored in the fridge, wrapped in plastic, for a week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
RSVP International Endurance (PUNCH-5) Stainless Steel Precision Pierced Colander Strainer, 5 Quart | For Pasta, Rice, & Fruits | Dishwasher Safe | Wide Rim & Handles | Steaming, Draining & Rinsing
Pro-Grade Silicone Spatulas Heat-Resistant Seamless Rubber Spatula
Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Blue Enamel Dutch Oven (Blue)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 765Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 5137mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 57g